Re: [opensuse-factory] noarch subpackages
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:12:15 +0200
On Tuesday 08 September 2009 13:03:12 Pavol Rusnak wrote:
I've attached two files. Both contain list of packages that could be
marked as noarch but are not, because they are subpackages. I'm sure
that lists contain some false positives, but the ratio should be under
10%. List named "alpha" is alphabetically sorted, while list named
"sizes" is sorted by size. Size of the packages is taken from i586, but
is logically more or less the same for other archs. When a package with
the size X bytes is marked as noarch we save
X*(number_of_supported_architectures) bytes.

Currently that number is 2 - since we have on the ftp tree x86 and x86-64 in
the same repository but nothing else.

If you don't want to go through the attached files, here's the short
summary (including the most interesting groups of packages):

*-branding-* packages 11 802 689 bytes
*-doc packages 165 367 768 bytes

Note that not every doc package can be noarch.

*-lang packages 232 798 038 bytes

other packages 239 364 546 bytes

I suggest to open a FATE feature for this and reference this email so that
this gets tracked. Let's do this properly for openSUSE 11.3,

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany