Re: [opensuse-factory] heads up about ext4 online defrag
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:23:35 +0200
Am Donnerstag 03 September 2009 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
Greg KH / Factory,

I mostly lurk on the Ext4 kernel mailing list.

Just this morning I participated in a brief thread about ext4's newly
merged online defrag ioctl which was pushed to Linus in the 2.6.31
merge window and is part of 2.6.31-rc7 at a minimum. As of rc7 there
is not a Kconfig option to disable it.

Per http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=124992522305319&w=2, it currently
can cause oop'es when defragging a sparse file, and the recently
submitted patch to resolve that introduces file corruption of those
same files.

I don't know if 11.2 had plans of including ex4defrag or not, but if
so I believe this issue should be closely watched and may need to be
dropped altogether until 11.3 comes along.

e4defrag is not in the release branch of e2fsprogs and as such we did not
include it. I played with it and also provided feedback to the ext4 list,
but the results were not good enough to promote it - not yet. But my feedback
got quite some discussions and patches started, so I'm very confident with
our decision to go with ext4.

Greetings, Stephan