[opensuse-factory] Re: heads up about ext4 online defrag
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:02:10 -0700
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:51:00AM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Greg KH / Factory,

I mostly lurk on the Ext4 kernel mailing list.

Just this morning I participated in a brief thread about ext4's newly
merged online defrag ioctl which was pushed to Linus in the 2.6.31
merge window and is part of 2.6.31-rc7 at a minimum. As of rc7 there
is not a Kconfig option to disable it.

Per http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=124992522305319&w=2, it currently
can cause oop'es when defragging a sparse file, and the recently
submitted patch to resolve that introduces file corruption of those
same files.

Then don't do that :)

I don't know if 11.2 had plans of including ex4defrag or not, but if
so I believe this issue should be closely watched and may need to be
dropped altogether until 11.3 comes along.

Even if userspace was not going to have the ex4defrag tool, having the
ioctl in the final 11.2 shipping kernel also seems like a bad idea. I
hope it gets somehow marked experimental before 2.6.31 goes final. If
not Greg KH and his team may need to patch it out of the kernel for
our release.

Nah, it will just stay as an experimental feature for people to play
with if they want to. Perhaps we will end up with a fix that we can
later add to the tree making it useful.

thanks,

greg k-h