Re: [opensuse-factory] Packman and oS 11.2
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:09:42 +1000
houghi wrote:
On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:30:39PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

Does anyone know when - and if - packman will provide the necessary
packages for 11.2 to be able to use kaffeine and xine?

Normally around the official release date.

I cannot live without xine nor kaffeine (for my TV [dvb]) and I cannot
fully test 11.2 without having both of these functioning. The files
necessary to make these apps. function are normally available from
packman and I am truly surprised that with oS 11.2 now at the MS6 stage
packman has yet to create the necessary repos to handle oS 11.2.

That is standard. 11.2 won't come out for another few months and Packman
does not have the time to re-compile each time when there is a new version
out. Would take a bit too much of their time.

Download the 11.1 rpm.src files and recompile yourself. That however
won't mean that it will work when 11.2 comes out.

houghi

Thanks for the response. Looks like that I have no other choice because
I cannot really think of installing 11.2/KDE43 for a better "look-see"
as I use the digital TV quite a bit (I haven't looked at a real
television set for some years now).

I need libxine1-codecs (at least) for xine/kaffeine to work. In the
software management of YaST this file is shown as available but when
selected the error message comes up stating that nothing provides this
rpm (even though the packman repo is selected). I am wondering why such
a codecs file would need to be altered in some way (recompiled) to work
with 11.2 and not be "provided" in its 11.1 form?

BC

--
Great Man reaches complete understanding of the main issues; Petty Man reaches
complete understanding of the minute details."

Confucius