[opensuse-factory] understanding of Required-Start in init scripts
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:26:27 +0200
Hi,

i have a short question, for my understanding of the init scripts.
I understand that there are dependencies between them, in order to have
parallel launch not messing up. Makes all sense to me.

The only thing I do not completely understand is the difference between

Required-Start: $network
and
Required-Start: dbus

(the difference that one requires the network and the other one the service
dbus is obvious to me. Please don't explain the literal difference of the
two lines.

My question is more regarding the "$" sign in from of network. It does not
match ANY of the Provides line in the scripts; 'network' has Provides:
network.
And dbus has Provides: dbus.

yet, if there must be a difference between the two ways of writing I guess? (I
stumbled over it when extending a script to make sure mysql is started
before. $mysql did not help it, mysql did.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Dominique