Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:43:16 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx> writes:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx> writes:

We were not talking about beginners - the course was about
changing hardware pieces.

Ok, it's not the plain vanilla beginner stuff, right.

But it's not that hard either, is it?

And if the board crashes and you move the disk to another board you
have the very same problem.

You simply should not do that if you are not able to enter a command
at the console.

Hmmm.

When we had the first laptops and people started switching networks
carrying their laptops around, (wireless, _scary_) our networking guys
said, "Linux is a server operating system, you simply don't do that
with unix", or, more bluntly: "How crazy can you be to switch networks
of a running server?"

We had long and hard discussions wether it was 'allowed' at all to
disconnect a unix machine from it's network and connect it to another
one. Only after we got at allowing this foolish thing to happen, we
were able to think about how we can make the system robust in such
circumstances.

In the same vein, I don't see why a relative beginner should not
replace hardware parts or move the hard disk to another machine, maybe
even if he doesn't know the beauty of the shell yet.

And much more importantly: finding a good solution for that brings us
to a single image that automatically gives best results on many
different types of hardware.

A reliable hardware autoredetection and driver configuration will
greatly simplify laptop, workstation and even server deployment: It
will also accelerate it, because then you can just throw an image to
the disk, with rpm database and all, and it will just tune itself to
the specific hardware at boot.

I really don't see what would be bad about that? Difficult, maybe ;),
but certainly A Good Thing.

This sounds like you are really willing to enforce progress "for the poor
experienced".
Go on, but keep in mind: serving fools just creates a new fool - you.

Viele Grüße
Eberhard Mönkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)

--
Eberhard Mönkeberg