Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 04:42:44 +0200
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 09:28:18PM +0200, Felix Möller wrote:
BTW, we had this feature for a long time (I no longer remember the details
why we removed it, but it wasn't really appreciated and considered
important enough) and gdm does something similar.
I did not even now it was removed yet ... ;)

I remember that I have used this feature with a SuSE 6/7 version, and found it
very usefull. From the top of my head I think this was something with the
hotplug coldplug startscripts... might be wrong here.

I think it was related to the startup scripts, but IIRC there were
also other reasons.

Then too, does he have any idea what that failsafe mode is, or that it is a
means to fixing what broke?

IIRC Windows also has such a failsafe boot option, which starts the GUI in
a low resolution mode. So he likely can expect or at least hope that
openSUSE behaves similarly. AND after rebooting he has exactly two
openSUSE boot options. Chances are rather high, that he simply tries
failsafe this time before be reinstalls the system. I wouldn't
underestimate our user base here.

Sorry Stefan, in my opinion you might be wrong here.

I know my way arround xorg.conf and the commandline and hopefully will be able
to get the graphics back up again. But as a newbie I probably could not handle
this situation and would EXPECT my system to show something graphically after
inserting a new graphics card.

There are two things that should work all the time: network for internet
access
and a minimal graphical interface! Without that there is no google and irc
for a
newbie.

For me autostarting sax2 on graphics card change is something worthwhile.

I don't think, that we're going to reintroduce this. Although I wasn't
involved in this decision I'm afraid there were good reasons to remove
this feature.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany