Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:39:41 +0200
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:10:40AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Sunday 2008-09-21 at 23:54 +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:

Why not start VESA to have some GUI and then ask questions.

Why not boot into failsafe mode after having seen this confusing error
message "Login:" in the Linux console? Then, running X with

I would indeed be very pissed if the system rebooted on its own to
safemode just because the X server failed to start.

Who proposed this? Not me.

No? The paragraph is yours. I'm happy to learn that I understood it
wrongly. What did you mean, then? :-?

I did not propose to let the system reboot on its own to
safemode. This is still a decision a user needs to take - as before.

Ok, that's better :-)

But why reboot at all? Better restart runlevel 5 in safemode, however
that's defined (vesa?). If that fails, propose to reboot in safemode.

Chosing safemode means booting into runlevel 5. I suggest you give the
safemode a try before further discussing this issue. Seriously.

Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany