Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:47:20 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 14:28 -0700, Andreas wrote:

In my opinion, all that's needed is a hint about what to do. A simple text,
displayed if X does not start or crashes right away.
Something like: "Could not start the graphical environment. Please log in as
root and run 'sax2' from the commandline to detect changed hardware or
drivers."

Plus something like «type "less somefile" to read extended instructions»

Mmm. First time I started with Linux, it took me a week to get X working, more to get it right. That was SuSE 5.2 or .3. There was no sax or I didn't know it. Some other program I have forgotten about :-) xconfig?

On some new installs, testing the X mode could crash the install... leaving the system not fully installed, which is not nice for a novice. Reboot and reinstall... Thus I always installed to runlevel 3, for many years. Even now I'm wary of installing in runlevel 5... for no reason.

Things are much easier now :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
< Previous Next >