Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.0 RC1 - odd choice of kernel
  • From: Bernhard Walle <bwalle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:13:56 +0200
* Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-05-31 14:22]:

I've just installed 11.0 RC1 on an old Pentium II with 384Mb RAM. The
installer chose to install an SMP+PAE kernel, which I find pretty
unusual? Any thoughts on why?

Because your processor *has* PAE. PAE is not only more than 4 GiB
physical address space but also the "no execute" bit. The "default"
kernel is also SMP (since openSUSE 10.2, IIRC) because there's no "smp"
kernel. I bet that you didn't notice any difference between "default"
and "pae".

Bernhard

--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Maintenance
< Previous Next >