Re: [opensuse-factory] Just one question about plane to release openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.1
  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 01:30:39 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
If it were up to me I'd simply postpone release of 11.0 for 3-4 months
so we could not only have 4.1.0, but maybe 4.1.2 - and drop KDE3 as a
desktop. Of course some KDE3 apps would most likely still be needed.

Experience tells it hardly pays off to do some delay like this: First
of all, how about those openSUSE users who use different desktops such
as GNOME?

Second, even such a slip won't provide a guarantee that the code you're
waiting for will be there in time (though it gets more likely the more you
slip).

Thirdly, we'd deprive our users of many other exciting development such
as zyyyyyyyyypper, new OpenOffice, lots of support for new hardware, and
so forth for quite longer a period when Federo and Ubunto, to name to, are
on shorter cycles.

Personally I'm considering not moving to 11.0 on my main box until 4.1
is available in the BS.

Why couldn't you go to 11.0 but stick to KDE 3.x and move to 4.1 once
available in the Build Service? (Which is just another concrete example
of why the Build Service rocks, by the way! :-)

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Inbound Product Mgmt T +49(911)74053-0 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)