Re: [opensuse-factory] Just one question about plane to release openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.1
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:09:35 +0100
Fredag den 7. Marts 2008 12:08:30 skrev Felix-Nicolai Müller:
Having KDE4 as main DE has got several backdrafts:
1. It is not ready.
2. It takes a lot of effort to make it ready.
This solution openSUSE is taking is ugly from a technical standpoint as
mixing kde3 and kde4 programms is just messy. No one really knows how
KDE4 will be changed in the process of developing it and if everything
will really work out compatibillity wise. How to port the Data from KDE3
to KDE4 once the KDE4 app is ready, etc, pp. There will be confusion and
possibly data loss among unexperienced users.
It is also ugly from a users standpoint, as one now has to use KDE3
software in a KDE4 framework. It will probably not look that good, feel
different and break the user feeling of consistent and logical software
(design wise).

If users wanted a stable system why do they insist on always adding as many BS
repos as humanly possible and 'zypper up -t package' more often than they
brush their teeth?

As Justin Steinman and Ted Haeger have been telling everybody who would listen
openSUSE users are "geeks and enthusiasts".

There are several benefits of having KDE4.x as main DE.
1. Many (most?) users want the latest greatest - even if it's rough and
buggy - if openSUSE doesn't provide it easily they will go to Fedora and
Kubuntu who does.
2. Using KDE4.x as default makes it easier for users to upgrade to 4.1.x later
on when it's "ready" - from the BS repos. Remember that 11.0 will probably
last for 7-9 months.
3. KDE4.0 has lots of eyecandy, but also many improvements in features and
usabillity.
4. It will help make 11.1 the world domination release that I think it can
become.
5. It'll help upstream KDE

However I'm fully in agreement that there will be huge problems. Choice
between KDE3 and KDE4 at this point is a matter of pick your poison. Either
we piss off the users that like to be productive, or we piss off the people
that want to live on the bleeding edge.

If it were up to me I'd simply postpone release of 11.0 for 3-4 months so we
could not only have 4.1.0, but maybe 4.1.2 - and drop KDE3 as a desktop. Of
course some KDE3 apps would most likely still be needed.

Since that doesn't appear to be an option, something else must be done. We
should communicate aggressively that people should think twice before
installing 11.0 (with KDE4.0), and maybe they should even consider skipping
11.0 completely. But then again, that was tried for KDE4.0 and it seemed
noone paid attention.. :-/

Personally I'm considering not moving to 11.0 on my main box until 4.1 is
available in the BS. Time will tell how good 4.0 can become. And how much
better 4.1 will actually be..