Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 2
  • From: Keith Goggin <kgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:50:12 +1100
On Thursday 10 January 2008 02:52:23 Rafał Miłecki wrote:
2008/1/9, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Am Mittwoch 09 Januar 2008 schrieb Ladislav Michnovič:
I read the Roadmap at http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap and my humble
opinion is that we should have 4 beta releases, not only 3. The point
is that many bugs are reported lately and sometimes users start to
test higher Beta release (not the first one). And those lately
reported bugs are often not really critical so they can't be fixed in
RC so they stay unfixed in final release.
I know it is probably too late to talk about this for 11.0, but we
can observe if my point is correct.

My humble believe is that people won't test beta2 if we do three betas
and not test beta3 if we do four betas. So even if your point is valid
for 3 betas, I believe it would be valid for 4 betas too.

I have to agree with Ladislav. I test openSUSE from first beta release
and usually there isn't enought time to fix all the bugs. In case of
openSUSE 10.3 some *crashing* bugs weren't repaired, because of lack
of time I belive.

I am not at all unsympathetic to Ladislav's view, but the whole question of
the number of alphas and betas is a bit academic if we do not have an
agreement on what an alpha and beta may contain.

The openSUSE 10.3 detailed roadmap made it clear that beta1 would provide
a "Feature and version freeze for the complete distribution (exception:
patchlevel update of leaf packages until Aug 17)" further beta3 would provide
that "only blocker and bug fixes [would be] allowed" from then on. Yet the
Factory News for 10.3 lists a number of changes post beta3 that do not appear
to comply with either of these limitations.

It seems to me that openSUSE 10.3's 7alphas, 3 betas and 3 release candidates
could best be described as a chronological sequence of 13 pre-release
candidates. So maybe we should just except that openSUSE is just a testbed
for the enterprise server/desktop version and drop the alpha/beta
nomenclature altogether.