Re: [opensuse-factory] bug 234533 should be solved?
  • From: Hans-Peter Holler <holler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:57:28 +0100
Am Dienstag, 6. November 2007 schrieb jdd:
I'm hit by the bug #234533. It's resolved "wont fix" "because it's a
feature, not a bug"
A non-enhancement bug can be filed if functionality that's assumed to work
doesn't. As you can see lmb changed severity from blocker to enhancement
because of this.

but

1) it's a bug only on pci-e (here mini pci, laptop), why this special
hardware hve such a feature?
Because it's _not_ a must that all hardware working with Window$ will
automagically do that with Linux. You have to find a volunteer to do the
development for this.
2) the comment on bugzilla say: the patch will be enclosed with 2.6.20
kernel. I have 2.6.22.9.0-4-default and I have still the bug
The reporter said he has a patch (the mentioned URL doesn't work), but you
can't espect that such a patch will be integrated in mainline kernel if
kernel maintainers (outside of SUSE) are not willing to do that.
3) a web search shows that ndiswraper don't works reliably with the
bcm43xx module
:-(

what can I do? do i need to reopen the bug or to try using ndiswraper
anyway?
Try ndiswrapper. If this fails, feel free to reopen, but remember: this will
remain an enhancement until mainline kernel developers say this should work.

thanks
jdd
Hans-Peter