[opensuse-factory] Java packages changes for 10.3
  • From: Daniel Bornkessel <dbornkessel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:30:35 +0100
Hi.
In 10.3, regarding Java, we want to do the following changes:

- tomcat5 will be replaced by tomcat55
- we have jboss and geronimo already ... our jonas package is outdated
anyways ... thus, dropping:
jonas
jonas-client
jonas-docs
jonas-examples

- the avalon framework does not exist anymore ... dropping:
avalon-framework
avalon-framework-javadoc
avalon-framework-manual

In order to clean openSUSE from non-oss packages, we want to do the following
changes:

- jai has strict licensing ... if there are no strong objections we would like
to drop this package.

- java-1.4.2-sun will be dropped, versions 1.5.0, 1.6.0 (DLJ licensed) and
gcj-compat 1.4.2 will be included. The DLJ-license is a special lincense that
was introduced by Sun in 2006 for re-distributors of Sun Java (see
http://download.java.net/dlj/DLJ-FAQ.html). It's less strict and more precise
on what is allowed and what is not regarding the re-distribution. Apart from
that, nothing visible will change for the users -- Sun Java will still be in
theĀ  openSUSE non-oss section.

- the following packages will be replaced by gnu-javamail which has an open
source license:
javamail
javamail-demo
javamail-javadoc
javamail-manual
javamail-monolithic

- the following packages will be replaced by gnu-jaf which has an open source
license::
jaf
jaf-demo
jaf-javadoc
jaf-manual

- the following packages will be replaced by classpath-jta which has an open
source license:
jta
jta-javadoc

- the following packages will be replaced by mx4j which has an open source
license:
jmx
jmx-javadoc

The packages that get dropped due to their licenses are usually licensed with
the Sun Binary license which is not really the type of license we want to
include in openSUSE if free oss counterparts are available.

Any thoughts and comments on this are very welcome :)

Regards,
Daniel