Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:05:10 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-03-12 at 11:23 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 9 22:24 Carlos E. R. wrote (shortened):
> > I have tried on my system, and I, with my user password,
> > can add a new printer, via cups web interface.
>
> Not by default (in particular not on my openSUSE 10.2 system).
> If it would be possible by default, it would be a major bug.

No, of course not, not by default. I did it that way many months ago, so
that I don't remember what I did O:-)

My point was that it is possible to let a normal user add printers, if so
wanted.

> What exactly is your system?
> Which printer setup tools did you use?
> Did you install whatever special printing-related packages
> (e.g. third-party drivers or a Novell iPrint client package)?

Only one user, me, I'm root also, so the only user is as safe as root, he
won't be "dafter" than Mr root ;-)

Home system, inkjet printer (canon bjc4000), with turboprint driver. I use
cups for printer setup, not Yast (I do use Yast during system install,
then switch to cups web interface).

> What are the active lines in your cupsd.conf?
> Show them via
> egrep -v '^$|^#' /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | fold -s -w60

Mmm, fold? That's new for me... Ah, I see. Interesting. Ok, here goes:

+++**************************
LogLevel info
Printcap /etc/printcap
User lp
Group lp
RunAsUser Yes
Port 631
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseDeny All
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 127.0.0.2
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType BasicDigest
AuthClass Group
AuthGroupName sys
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>
Browsing Off
**************************++-

I see. It is this:

AuthType BasicDigest
AuthClass Group
AuthGroupName sys

and only on 127.0.0.1

The strange thing is that I don't belong to group "sys", but I do belong
to "root". Could be that:

# SystemGroup: the group name for "System" (printer administration)
# access. The default varies depending on the operating system, but
# will be "sys", "system", or "root" (checked for in that order.)
#

#SystemGroup lp

Curious...

- --