[opensuse-factory] Network Printing Problem @ Johannes Meixner...
  • From: "M9." <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:51:09 +0100

Hi,

What about a real problem, in a real situation?
( i recall sending you this at jsmeix@xxxxxxx , but never got any
response, must have been caught in the 'spamshredder'..)

> Hi JSM,
>
> We met in Resolved Bug #250113 , and in opensuse mailing.
>
> As the expert you are, i have a question , that will most likely be very
> simple to you, (i hope), so you might want to answer it, end solve my
> little problem?
>
> Here it is:
>
> (sent to cups mailing list, some time ago, but never answered..)
>
> Hello interrested members of this list,
> (and hopefully one expert among you, who is willing share the solution.;-)
>
> I have one printer, connected to lpt#1, (local) which is shared in the
> network.
> The machine, an IBM PIV 1.8Ghz, is one part productionmachine: XP,
> shares printer to all windows, and linux clients, + is Dual boot SuSE
> 10.3 testingmachine.
> The printer must be able to print at all times.
>
> If the productionmachine (XP) is on, no problem to find the printer, and
> use it, Windows easy, Linux bij using the ip adress for the printer.
>
> But, when SuSE103 is on, the one printer is seen as the networkprinter,
> AND as the local printer, so 2 printers are listed, and either one of
> them is useable.
> When i want to use the local one, this is 'forbidden' by cups
> (localhost:631),
> When i want to use the network printer, it is paused...
> So no printing can be done when testing SuSE103...
>
> We talk about 'one' EPSON Stylus C64 Photoedition, using CUPS+Gutenprint
> v5.0.0, for Lin2Win, and if possible for Lin2Lin.
>
> How can i solve this? (is it solvable?)
>
> (unfortunately this model cannot work with a printserver, if so, there
> would be no problem at all..)

This is an 'actual' and 'real', 'existing' problem, which i would realy
have to be solved.

The catch is in this: > # Host name of the SMB host (always needed)

Because for the: > The printer share is identified by unique "names" in
the network:

Which part will be recognised: The OS, or netbios name?

Q: What will happen if the netbios name is the same in both OS's?
(there can be only one OS up at the time...)

- --

Have a nice day,

M9. Now, is the only time that exists.

OS: Linux 2.6.18.2-34-default x86_64