Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:30:42 -0500
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:58 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 5 13:09 JP Rosevear wrote (shortened):
> > On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:30 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > >
> > > What about
> > > http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> > > "Intrinsic design of CUPS for printing in the network"
> > >
> > > What is the original end-user requirement behind?
> >
> > The original requirement is two fold
> >
> > 1) Ease of use for end users
> >
> > It works perfectly fine on Windows XP and OS X to browse network
> > printers and print to one without requiring admin privileges.
>
> Your info is too terse for me.
> I still do not understand the end-user's situation.
> Please do not misunderstand me - I don't want to do nitpicking.
> But I need to understand the whole picture from the end-user's point
> of view - otherwise whatever nice-looking implementation may not
> solve the actual end-user problem.

The situtation is the end user doesn't want to type in a password to do
simple operations.

> What do you mean with "browse network printers" here?
> Browse the raw printers or browse associated SMB shares
> (or whatever kind of associated print queues)?

Adding an SMB shared printer is the specific case I had in mind, but
other types of network printers too if applicable

> Did you read
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> "Intrinsic design of CUPS for printing in the network"?
> When there is a CUPS server, there is _nothing_ to be set up
> at all on the client systems, see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> "Configuration of the clients"
> Start cupsd.
> Under normal circumstances, you should not configure
> anything else, especially
> * no local queues on clients and
> * no changes in the default settings for cupsd on clients.
>
> Why do you want to implement Windows-stlye printing
> when we use CUPS on Linux?

Because its what most users expect and want, even many linux ones.

> Or is there a special end-user environment why we need
> to do Windows-stlye printing even with CUPS on Linux?
>
> Perhaps you are talking about a user with a Linux laptop
> or Linux workstation in a Windows-only environment?

Not just in these specific cases, I'm thinking home users in general.

> > 2) Restricting root access for admins
> >
> > Admins want to allow straightforward operations like changing the
> > wireless network or adding a printer without giving out the full root
> > password (which allows things like installing new packages)
>
> Why cannot the admin set up appropriate stuff in cupsd.conf
> so that whatever users on whatever hosts are allowed to do
> whatever he likes?
>
> Why should we implement something anew when from my point of view
> everything is (and was) already implemented in CUPS?
>
> Since CUPS 1.2 there are even fine-grained policies, see
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html
> "Policy" and "Limit (Policy)"

Ah, this is nice, I wasn't aware there was a policy system in 1.2,
thanks for pointing this out.

> From my point of view all we may need is a nice GUI to set up
> those policies in cupsd.conf - e.g. an enhancement of the CUPS
> web-interface, see on a CUPS 1.2 system
> http://localhost:631/admin
> "Server"

Yes, quite possibly with the policy system above. I might rather see a
single yast module that is a starting point for various configurations
of this type of options, ie something like:

[ ] Primary user can mount removable media
[ ] All users can mount removable media
[ ] Primary user can add and remove printers
[ ] All users can add and remove printers
[ ] Primary user can install, update and remove software
[ ] All users can install, update and remove software

Where the primary user is the first user you create. Ideally we'd be
able to keep this hidden and have a 'Home User' vs 'Traditional Unix
Permissions' option or something. (I'm also not sure this is actually a
Yast module, but it will do for now as an example). This would lead
into a nice system for things like basic parental controls.

Robert, you had some ideas around this right?

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.