Re: [opensuse-factory] Remove zen-installer from gnome-main-menu
  • From: "Claes Bäckström" <claes.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:13:00 +0100
On 11/5/06, James Ogley <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is a way to change this. In gconf :
> /desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/system-area/package_manager_item

I think here's an important point and it affects the Favourite
Applications section too. Bizarrely, it never occurred to me that that
might be GConf controlled (turns out to be
under /desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/file-area) and I'm an
uber-1337 GNOME-master (ahem). It looked like these were Novell's
favourite apps.

If gnome-main-menu is going to be seriously usable (especially if it's
accepted into upstream), there needs to be an obvious way (perhaps a
'Choose Favourite Applications' button next to the 'More Applications'
one) of editing this list.

Instead of right clicking an application and choose "Add to favorites"?

The 'More Applications' list is another important thing to look at. At
the moment, it launches the application browser which, frankly, is
rubbish. It would make a lot more sense if pressing this button simply
opened the Applications menu, as a menu.

I sort of like the way it is now. But I have changed it not to close
the application browser when I open an application (also a gconf key).
That is the way I use it. I don't want that to be the default setting.
I know I work with some stuff in a different way than others.

Warm Regards,
Claes Backstrom