Re: [opensuse-factory] opensuse-updater questions
  • From: Alex <one_way@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 05:37:15 +0100
> You are expecting things from opensuse-updater that it doesn't do.
> opensuse-updater does _not_ update every package to the most recent
> version; it installs patches only (like the old SUSEwatcher did), so new
> packages are pulled in only if they are part of a patch. The factory
> tree does not contain any patches.

That's a point I completely missed in all the previous discussions of the
subject. Makes opensuse-updater also quite unusable for my needs :-((((. Is
adding this functionality planned?

BTW, a "zypper lu" also shows not a single update though they are definitely
there (smart finds them). Zypper says "Restoring system sources...", then
lists all my repositories, but no update... (Or are there any "channels" I
have to subscribe to, in addition to the active services, as it was with
rug?)

> In order to have opensuse-updater update all packages to their most
> recent versions, you must configure it to use the ZENworks backend.
> Andreas Hanke (who is still not convinced that removing ZENworks from
> the default installation is a good idea)

Well, I'm one of those persons who never had the possibility to try out
ZENworks, as every time I wanted to give it a try since it was introduced, it
didn't work for me :-(. So I personally didn't lose any functionaliy by once
again removing it ;).

Alex