Re: [opensuse-factory] tiny-nvidia-installer removed from factory
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:18:38 +0100
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:42:08PM -0000, B.Weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Honestly only the
> > kernel update process (KMP packages) can avoid this problem. I
> > prevented this problem before SLE10 by uninstalling the driver in
> > %pre of the affected packages, but I needed to remove this
> > workaround for the KMP approach for SLE10. :-(
>
> KMPs would of course be ideal. But it seems we won't have them for
> openSUSE. There is much rumour and speculation as to why this is, It would
> be nice if someone could give a definitive statement. If I understand
> correctly the situation for SLE10:
>
> -Novell build the packages (from rpm vendor, build host, packager,author)
> -Novell don't want to risk hosting them as they violate the GPL so ask
> nvidia to host them.
> -Nvidia happily host them and take legal risk of being sued by kernel
> developers.
>
> It would be nice if someone could clarify what is different for openSUSE,
> has anyone from novell even bothered to ask nvidia to host packages for
> openSUSE? Have nvidia refused? why? or does Novell/SUSE not want non-gpl
> kernel modules to be available anywhere for openSUSE, but think it's ok
> for SLE for some reason?
>
> No-one seems to know the answers, so a statement from someone would be
> appreciated.

Last time I tried to push this issue was not really successful. :-(
Read the results in Bug #206956.

I suggest to take the SRPMs I've attached to this bugreport and host
them somewhere, e.g. packman. I would like to host them via the
openSUSE buildservice (since the driver itself is marked as NoSource
anyway), but unfortunately it's not possible to specify to only build
the SRPM. :-(

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available