Re: [opensuse-factory] tiny-nvidia-installer removed from factory
  • From: B.Weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:42:08 -0000 (GMT)
> Honestly only the
> kernel update process (KMP packages) can avoid this problem. I
> prevented this problem before SLE10 by uninstalling the driver in
> %pre of the affected packages, but I needed to remove this
> workaround for the KMP approach for SLE10. :-(

KMPs would of course be ideal. But it seems we won't have them for
openSUSE. There is much rumour and speculation as to why this is, It would
be nice if someone could give a definitive statement. If I understand
correctly the situation for SLE10:

-Novell build the packages (from rpm vendor, build host, packager,author)
-Novell don't want to risk hosting them as they violate the GPL so ask
nvidia to host them.
-Nvidia happily host them and take legal risk of being sued by kernel
developers.

It would be nice if someone could clarify what is different for openSUSE,
has anyone from novell even bothered to ask nvidia to host packages for
openSUSE? Have nvidia refused? why? or does Novell/SUSE not want non-gpl
kernel modules to be available anywhere for openSUSE, but think it's ok
for SLE for some reason?

No-one seems to know the answers, so a statement from someone would be
appreciated.

_
Benjamin Weber