Re: [opensuse-factory] zen bug?
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:02:36 +0200

>>> Reply on 17-10-2006 10:58:15 <<<> Dominique Leuenberger schrieb:
> That's exactly what rug does...

Ok, that's good like this

> The issue is really specific to zen-updater. I could never make rug
> crash, not even by copying MP3 audio files on top of
> /var/lib/zmd/zmd.db. It just says "Corrupted database", and that's
what
> an application should do in such a situation.
>
> By the way, you don't need to do
>
> rm -f /var/lib/zmd/zmd.db
>
> any more in Factory because zmd is already robustified, which is
very
> cool. Restarting zmd is sufficient, it recognizes the corrupted
> database
> as such on startup and rebuilds it automatically.

Also very nice to read. So it's going in the right direction.

> So, zmd and rug are fine, just zen-updater is not. Unfortunately,
> zen-updater is exactly what people see most of the time and what
they
> identify as "ZEN". Selling Zenworks as a good thing is really
difficult
> this way...

Indeed, at least the Userinterface should be nifty, as it's also used
in corp environment by non-geeks. They probably can't deal to much with
a stacktrace.

Are there any chances that the zen-updater get's a face-lifting in this
way? (even though it IS working; a kinda better error message would
probably be welcome by everybody).

About the hardened zen: do you know something about the libzypp 2.4.0
update for factury that should be synced? I'm still waiting for it! As
my box at the moment can not use rug at all to remove or to install or
to update packages (SIGSEGVing). But on no mirror I know I can find that
new version addressed in bugzilla

Dominique