Re: [opensuse-factory] zen bug?
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:39:53 +0200

>>> Reply on 17-10-2006 10:37:42 <<<> jdd schrieb:
> > ?? I did not do anything to have this and it didn't show before
>
> Maybe you did not do anything, but the resolve-dependencies zypp
helper
> did something: It segfaulted.
>
> This caused zmd.db to be left in an unusable state. Zen-Updater
likes
> show exactly this stack trace whenever that happens. It's the most
> well-known one. Use Google:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=CheckUpdatesLoop
>
> While the resolve-dependencies segfault has been fixed in the
meantime,
> the stack trace from Zen-Updater will _never_ be fixed. It's already
in
> Bugzilla with 6 duplicates. Resolution: WORKSFORME
>
> Just forget it... Whenever this happens, you have to do:
>
> killall zen-updater
> /etc/init.d/novell-zmd stop
> rm -f /var/lib/zmd/zmd.db
> /etc/init.d/novell-zmd start
> zen-updater &

Calling a program, that gives a stack trace on an invalid Database,
'Works For Me' is a bit brave behaviour.
In no way, a program is allowed to crash out if a corrupt database is
found.

At LEAST an exact explanation to the user how to solve it (maybe what
you just gave on top) HAS to be given or, if the actions are that
obvious always the same, they have to be performed if the system does
not get in danger by it.

But just leaving it as 'Works for me' is not the right thing imho.

Dominique