Re: [opensuse-factory] YAST new icons
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:14:28 +0200
Per Jessen schrieb:
> Andreas, that is a silly and unnecessarily sarcastic question. Bart
> only pointed out that the current set of YaST icons is ugly and dull,
> just as I did on 10 Oct.

It doesn't work that way. I seriously doubt that calling the icon theme
ugly or silly or whatever gives you better icons. Try a wording like
"inconsistent" or "out of place" or something like that.

> No, I have no intention of creating a set of
> icons for SUSE, but when the current set (10.2a5) is a step backward
> from that of earlier alphas, reporting it is very reasonable.

But it isn't a fact that these icons are a step backward, it's an
opinion. I just like to document that not all users are uncomfortable
with these icons. I like them with one exception: The icon of the
online_update module (well, it's the same icon as - you know what), but
wouldn't call the entire work ugly or silly because of that.

The proposal with a custom theme package is not intended to be sarcastic
at all. Just look at the way the YaST icon theme is packaged and you'll
see that there is an infrastructure to install multiple theme packages
in parallel.

What I'm trying to express is that the users are not entirely dependent
on decisions made by SUSE or Novell. Most users are using packages from
many different sources, these have been created by people who want to
supplement the package base offered by the distribution.

Being a little bit familiar with how this stuff like dropped/replaced
packages is working during SUSE Alphas, I can say that things like this
are _very_rarely_ being reverted, and encourage the most unsatisfied
users to try a different way than requesting a revert of a switch whose
reasons were documented in Bugzilla.

> You're missing the point. YaST is perhaps one of the most visible
> applications - that KDE has other new applications to offer is utterly
> irrelevant, IMHO.

I sort of disagree (When using the system in a "normal" way - not
Alpha-testing - I'm touching the desktop menu and the networking applet
every day and YaST maybe once in a week), but hey, we're free to
disagree. ;-)

Andreas Hanke