[opensuse-factory] SPAM: Re: i586 or i686? (was: Topics for tomorrow's dist meeting)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:43:04 +0200
William Gallafent wrote:

> On Thursday 12 October 2006 15:06, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
>> Just what is wrong with keeping older distros on older
>> hardware?

Older, out-of-date distros quickly become a management nightmare. I
have a firewall still on 7.1 - fortunately we don't touch it very
often, but it's a mess already. I'd much rather have it running 10.2,
but I'd have to build the whole thing myself.

Whilst on that thought - for those who are really keen on running an
i686-optimized machine, why not just rebuild the entire distro for i686
yourselves? Doesn't the build-project allow for that?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich