Re: [opensuse-factory] Ditching ReiserFS?
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:00:09 +0200
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:32:58PM +0300, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 12:24, Robert Schiele wrote:
>
> > I think his personal problems are neither to be discussed in public on this
> > mailing list
>
> I didn't mean that in a gossipy way, but rather in a
> what-could-we-do-to-help-him way.

Well, as a general rule of thumb: If you _really_ want to help someone in such
a situation then respect his privacy and don't draw his private life into
public unless he asked you to do so. Did he?

> > nor is this a reasonable issue for a decission whether to
> > ship reiser4 or not.
>
> Oh yes it is. He's the driving force for reiserfs. Whithout him there's a
> large gap in reiserfs4's onward development.
>
> What good would it be if you'd use reiserfs4, found some bug, but there would
> be nobody to fix it?

Think again: Should a project where there is only one person able to solve
problems really be used in a critical environment?

BTW: You don't have to convince Novell not to ship reiser4 because of that
because this is already the case.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele