Update stack test build
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:01:54 +0100
Morning folks,

Would this list be the best place to post feedback regarding the test build of
the update stack packages you posted yesterday Andreas? Or is it better moved
to bugzilla...? If so I can move all this to bugzilla with logs etc.

Here are my observations so far anyway.

1.
The 10.1 release update stack successfully installed the test builds after I
added the URL as a YUM service via zen-updater. However the whole upgrade
took an extremely long time ( 15 minutes approx ). I was unable to determine
why it was taking so long, i dont *think* it was the downloading...

2.
Adding services via rug is just fine, and as per the 10.1 release builds ZYPP
services are synced with YaST, YUM services are not. Adding services via
zen-updater, same as rug, it works and the synching is the same.

2. Adding a larger service such as main online installation from
mirror( inst-sources ) is much smoother. The service itself was added to the
list in yast inst_sources almost instantaneously and unlilke the 10.1 release
the catalog was not immediately downloaded but was only fetched when the
finish button was pressed. At a rough guess I would say the whole process of
adding the main installation source is 50% quicker now.

3.
ZMD scheduling seems to be a bit broken now. It appears that the service
refresh happens at the same time as the hourly maintenance, even though it is
scheduled for the next day. Once the full service refresh and maintenance has
run ( hourly by default it seems ) the schedule is reset with an updated time
for the service refresh 24 hours later and 1 hour later for the maintenance.
Of course the service refresh still happens one hour later and another new
time i scheduled for it.

This has the side effect of a full service refresh will run if my system is
booted outside of the hourly maintenance window, parse-metadata and
update-status hogging 100% CPU for a few minutes on boot. If i reboot my
system inside the hourly maintenance window this does not happen.

< Previous Next >