Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 16:41:22 +0200
tirsdag 23 maj 2006 14:47 skrev Martin Schlander:
> I'll probably think of more as soon as I click send - but these are issues
> I could currently think of.

As expected I thought of some more pretty big issuses, imho at least, shortly
after sending the last mail. So I'll do some more "crying" as Henne calls
it :) - I think it's constructive input for making it better though.

* YaST2 now installs dependencies without consulting/warning the user first -
it can be a bit surprising sometimes to see all kinds of packages being
installed that you never selected.

* Conflicts/deps need to be taken care of one by one, unlike before. Often you
get a lot of problems with the same reason - which could be easily resolved
in one or two clean swoops "in the good old days" of <=10.0.

* When you add sources to yast they are always called "YUM", in ZMD they're
given numbers for a name - the date + some random numbers I guess. Once
you've added maybe 6 or 7 sources it gets pretty hard to keep track of which
is which - and there's generally not room for the entire url. Maybe there's a
way to edit the names that I'm not aware of.

After writing down these issues and the ones before it's becoming apparent to
me that almost all of these issues are with YaST2. Maybe things actually work
pretty well with rug/zen - apart from the parse-metadata and update-status
slowness.

I'll add the above issues to the page Henne set up on the wiki.
http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Issues

Martin / cb400f