Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:11:12 +0200
Hi,

On Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:48:11, Martin Schlander wrote:
> tirsdag 23 maj 2006 12:33 skrev Pascal Bleser:
> > jdd wrote:
> > > can't you beleive most users have _not_ the problem you have?
> >
> > Can't *you* believe *many* users do have that problem ?
> > Again, come hang around on IRC and witness the havoc.
>
> I experience the same thing as Frank

Ok to summarize:

There are two problems with packagemanagement in 10.1

* zmd meta data parsing is not fast enough for realworld requirements

With a typical SUSE Linux user inst-source setup parsing the metadata
takes up to 10 minutes. This is with variations depending on download
speed and the amount of installation sources. This also manifests in
suse_register (which is using zmd) and general i/o during normal
operation when zmd wakes up and starts parsing.

* inst-source syncing between yast inst_source and zmd is not robust

Usually this problem pops up when users start to try to work-around
problems with zmd (like removing services with rug, reinstalling zdm
etc.)

Everything else is working pretty flawlesly. Can we agree on that?

This is bad but not unfixable.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Core Services
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."