Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: Frank-Michael Fischer <fmfischer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:03:16 +0200
Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 08:08:02AM +0200, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
>
>> Might sound a bit emotional, but the "parse-metadata" problem turns 10.1
>> into a virtually unusable desktop for my customers (and me) really. In
>> certain server setups it might be acceptable that the system needs up to
>> 30 minutes after reboot before giving full power to the users. But on a
>> desktop?
>>

> We cannot confirm this behaviour.
>
> parse-metadata occassionaly leads to a slow down, but only a minute
> at most and not on bootup.

It blocks my three 10.1 systems always at bootup and never for less than
20 minutes. These are all installations from scratch.
>> To me it smells like the end of SUSE on desktops, really. As I am using
>> and testing other linux distros as well I know that the only difference
>> is Zen. My wild guess: Zen architecture prevents it from performing
>> well. Because if it would be the implementation of Zen making its
>> performance so ridiculous, we would find some messages concering fixes
>> and dramatic improvements and timetables.
>>

> You are overblowing the issue.

I really wish you were right.

>> For the time being none of my customers will upgrade to 10.1 or switch
>> to SUSE.
>>

> You can also do:
> /etc/init.d/novell-zmd stop
> rpm -e zmd rug zen-updater

Ofcourse, that's what I am doing. But I could also build linux from
scratch then. The moment, Novell decides to drop "zmd rug zen-updater"
from the default installation I can recommend this distro again. Why?
Because my customers should NOT be dependent on me as person. So someone
else with lesser linux know-how should be able to (re-)install SUSE
Linux and get a well performing desktop system. Which is not the case
with the current 10.1.

FMF