Upgrade using y2pmsh
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:36:57 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2006-05-15 at 13:37 +0200, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

I would like to report why I object to 10.1 package manager.

Sadly , You are not the only one. :-(

I used y2pmsh instead. Very comfortably at the "solving" stage.

Does it run from the install dvd automatically, when doing the upgrade?

No. Just from within the old system.

Oh, my :-(

I have never upgraded a full system that way.

Christoph had posted a sample session in february.

Could you be more precise? I wasn't watching this list then. Title of the
email, for instance...

Here is my local file copy, (c) Christoph Thiel:

For those of you who don't want to do a fresh installation, just use
y2pmsh to upgrade ot the latests beta. It (still) uses the (old) YaST2
package manager backend and therefore is very stable and useable for an
upgrade. (I'v used it successfully for the last 3 betas ;))

Here is a short guide on "how to upgrade with y2pmsh":

1.) Get the latests y2pmsh and yast2-packagemanager from Factory and
install them using "rpm -Uvh y2pmsh*.rpm yast2-packagemanager*". Run
SuSEconfig.

2.) Fire of y2pmsh by calling "y2pmsh".

# y2pmsh
Welcome to the YaST2 Package Manager!
This tool is meant for debugging purpose only.

initializing installation sources ...
refreshing [... bla bla bla]
initializing target ...
reading RPM database .............ok

[some more info]

type help for help, ^D to exit

==> make sure you don't have any source active, if there are some, call
"source -R <numberofsource>" to remove them:

[0] y2pm > source -ls
Known sources:
[0] y2pm > source --add <url to factory mirror>
refreshing SUSE LINUX Version 10.0.42... ok (already up to date)
[0] y2pm > upgrade

==> ... lot's of info

===[sum]============================================
Packages checked 1119

totalToInstall 1115
totalToDelete 0
totalToKeep 3
--------------------------
sum 1118

==> looks OK!

[0] y2pm > solve

==> hopefully you don't get to many conflicts... ;)
this is just an example how to resolve a conflict

Name: evolution-sharp
Edition: 0.10.2-7
From-Input-List: yes
Unresolvable: evolution-sharp-0.10.2-7 requires libedataserver-1.2.so.4

Packages with errors: 2
Packages to install: 1117
Packages to keep: 3
Packages to delete: 1
Download size: 1.27 GB
Needed Space: -5.2 MB
[1] y2pm > remove evolution-sharp
[1] y2pm > solve

[...]

Packages with errors: 0
Packages to install: 1116
Packages to keep: 3
Packages to delete: 2
Download size: 1.27 GB
Needed Space: -5.8 MB
[0] y2pm > commit

==> get yourself a cup of coffee and relax ;)

[0] y2pm > quit

# SuSEconfig
# insserv -r novell-zmd # ;)

==> You might want to check with

# rpm -qa --last | tail -200

if there are some packages that haven't been updated (the virtual
gpgkey packages are fine), but others might need some manuall
interaction. This is e.g. the case if packages have been dropped. Just
remove those packages with

# rpm -e <packagename>

# reboot

Cheers -e