Network migration starting with squid.. help
  • From: "Alan Loughlin" <loughlina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:06:29 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

We currently run a proprietary only network consisting of 5 servers with 2
acting as files servers and dc's, 1 a antivirus server and successmaker
server, 1 running sql and pass and the last running ISA with surfcontrol.

I would like to move over to Linux for the most of my network, but due to
the existing constraints of Successmaker and PASS, I cant do a lot, unless
you have any suggestions. I do know Pearson are investigating cross platform
capabilities.

Anyway, my licensing is up for surfcontrol soon and I want to try if squid
or similar can do the job. I know of dansguardian and squidguard, but don't
know if there any good.
My main question is what Linux distro shall I go for and what caching and
filtering solution will do what isa and surfcontrol do?

I have a hardware firewall, so the firewall features in isa are not needed.
I do require ad compatibility with transparent authentication. Real time
monitoring/monitoring would be good too.

I've looked at censornet, but was not impressed because of i.e. always
asking for authentication.

Also, if I decide to move to Linux, how can you customise and lock down the
desktop environment. We have decent pc's here, so a way to do this without
ltsp would be handy.

Thank you for your time

Alan