Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] kde applications
  • From: Phil Driscoll <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:27:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Monday 13 August 2001 19:56, Michael Brown wrote:

> KDE applications now start up via kdeinit. KDE utilises a support
> environment which includes the DCOP inter-application communications
> program and the ksycoca configuration cache. These are normally started
> up when KDE itself starts, so KDE applications will launch quickly when
> started from KDE. When you start a KDE application from outside KDE, it
> has to start up the support environment first, which is what is causing
> the added delay under IceWM.

The trick I'm looking for is probably getting the kde support environment up
and running as the desktop boots so that the KDE apps can take advantage of
Sycoca etc. Anyone know how?

> As far as magic tricks go, my best recommendation is to use the old,
> small-memory machines as thin-client terminals. This will enable you to
> run virtually whatever applications you want, without worrying about the
> memory footprint. Of course, you will need a thin-client server, but for
> the amount of time you seem to be investing in trimming the memory
> footprint you could buy a thin-client server and pay to have it supported.

If I can work out how to do this and make the information on how to do it
freely available, I hope that the results of my work will benefit any
interested school. Therefore, I am happy to ignore the fact that we could
have bought a rack full of servers if I'd been charging for my time!

> Just for reference, on the system that IRL/Fen Systems just put in to
> Woodlands Junior School in Kent, StarOffice starts in around three seconds
> flat.
That's 3 times quicker than my 1200MHz AMD machine does it!

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll