Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] encyclopedias
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:15:52 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Norman,

That is a very interesting question that you have
asked. However, it does have a dissapointing
answer....not exactly.

Unfortunately, at present, an MS --> Linux Encarta
based program does not exist. But that is not to say
that the information does not. It could be possible to
use Netsape (mozilla) under Linux, with Apache to
produce a web-based version of "Encarta" (Hey...I
might try that :-).

Of course, I would really love to see your school
switch to using Linux. Of course you could use WINE to
run Encarta from Linux...... (just an idea).

I hope this has helped answer your question,
Regards,

Thomas Adam
A Former VI form student,
Purbeck School,
Wareham
Dorset

--- Norman <norman.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Linux and Squid at a
> school
>
> and it was suggested that if there was a suitable
>
> replacement for Encarta then the school would move
>
> about half ( around 120 ) of their PC's to Linux.
>
> I have been searching for something but have found
>
> nothing so far.
>
> Has anyone any idea if one is available?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Norman

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> suse-linux-uk-schools-help@xxxxxxxx

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): n6tadam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx