RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] CD-Rom sharing
  • From: Simon Wood <Simon.Wood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

[Simon Wood]
Twice as many as you have IDE interfaces (i.e. 3 on a normal machine assuming that you have one harddisk)

> question 2: Can I simply drop the contents of a CD-Rom onto the hard drive,
> set up a share for them and access them that way?
>
> James Carter

[Simon Wood]
You can create a binary copy of the contents of a CD to a file on the disk with:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=cd_image_1.iso bs=1024K

assuming /dev/hdc (secondary master) is you cdrom drive, 'bs' just sets the block size and speeds up the copy.

Then you can mount this image as if it were a normal CD with:
mount -t iso9660 -o loop cd_image_1.iso /fake_cdrom1

Just get samba to share this directory, and windows to connect to it. This will perform quite a bit better than a normal CD, it's MUCH faster and will be able to cope better with multi-users (i.e a classroom full of kids).

I'm not sure how this effects the copyright on the disk matterial, I assume if you legally allowed to share a CD drive it is no different to sharing the image of the CD via a hard disk. Perhaps this is your home work....

Hope this helps,
Simon W.

  • No further messages