Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Open Source in Schools: Meeting 12th
  • From: Michael Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:40:52 +0000 (UTC)
Sorry - this got bounced earlier (my fault) so I'm re-sending. Apologies
to anyone who gets it twice.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> 1. Should it be an open source or a Linux umbrella? i'm think here of a)
> FreeBSD (esp given Chris Dawkins presencs) b) educational content, much of
> which is becoming web-based, not Linux-based, but not in the main open
> source. Its been given the Open Source title and Linux is the cornerstone,
> and this leads into...
> 2. That despite the best efforts of some, the current Open Source / Linux
> schools audience is not mainstream and we are at times a small group
> preaching to the converted, perhaps what we should be looking at it lobby the
> wider audience, including Governement, LEAs, manufacturers and professional
> organisations, rather than each other. Some strategy for that would be
> interesting, including the publication of case studies etc

Along these lines, I have already invited (or am planning on inviting):

1) All the contacts/sales leads that we accumulated from BETT, including
LEA advisors.

2) A large number of teachers from both my old school (I am still in
contact), schools I have worked with and schools within our local area.

3) Representatives from the local LEA.

4) Some journalists.

Michael Brown
Fen Systems Ltd.