Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Linux recycled Unix ?
  • From: "Frank Shute" <shute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 06:39:33 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:27:13PM +0000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> hi
>
> any comments on this quote today ?
>
> > Customers, he said, misunderstood what Linux was, thinking that it
> >was brand new technology rather than just recycled Unix.

I suppose that's true enough but Unix never had such a large
user/developer base which makes things a bit different. It seems that
people are obsessed with `brand new technology' - the latest Ferrari
uses an engine who's principles were laid out more than 100 yrs ago
but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad car. Most `customers' don't
understand the developmental cycle of any complex artifact:

Brand new != best

> >"We're not changing the rules of physics in the universe here"

We might not be but what we are doing is changing the status quo of
how software is developed - the cathedrals are tumbling down.

> >and that the best Linux can offer is "better technology for the
> >same money."

That sounds like a good enough deal to me.

> >There is, he said, "a wake-up call" sounding "for many.

I don't know who `he' is or the `many' that he's talking about are so
it's impossible to contextualise that comment. I guess he's talking
about people who misunderstand the true value of open source software,
in which case he's probably right.

--

Frank

| Boroughbridge | Tel: 01423 323019 | PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3 |
http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/