Rumours of your demise are greatly exagerated?
  • From: ptaylor <ptaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:58:25 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Roger (all):

I saw a news blurb on the Internet (everything on there is true!) that SuSE US
is down sizing and the MD says that SuSE is no more, expired and gone to meet
it's maker etc. I hope this is just a blip as I am in with SuSE for the long
haul.

As regards the meeting, I will produce maps, directions and other
documentation over this week and send them on to whoever requests them.
People can e-mail me at school with fax numbers et al and I will send them
forward.

I concur with some of the other comments so far about broadening the scope of
the meeting. I will try to invite my local LEA representative and I have some
people from other feeder schools. I will try to get some representatives from
business if I can but Salisbury is not really a high tech Mecca (as I have
found out trying to get work experience for my year 12 ICT students).
I think the focus should be on "open source". I don't have any beef against
MS per say but do believe that education should have access to free tools for
students to develop, not be tied to expensive, corporate dictated policies. I
also like the idea (idealist I know) that the people that create license free
software make it based on a sharing and pooling of ideas, not from some closed
shop. Education should be "free" and children shpould be able to explore this
medium in depth. My students can not do that with MS/Office.
Look forward to hearing from you all.
Paul
01722-323431
01722-330010