Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] OSE Conference
On 8/7/00 Phillip Deackes wrote:

I am also surprised that RM et al haven't cottened on
the fact that there is money to be made with open source software. If
they could do with Linux what they have done with NT/Windows and their
Connect networking they would be on to a winner. 'Free software-pay for
support' would be a winning combination for many a school, mine
included. All we are waiting for is this sort of scenario. As ICT
Coordinator I am not confident enough to jump ship by myself.

How I agree. I have recently been on RM courses and tried to push the idea of their developing a Connect-style topping for Linux. Surely they would be better off not having to pay Microsoft.

Though I read recently that Microsoft is planning to switch to a processor based licensing system rather than user based. This would have to benefit schools.

EB

--
Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources