RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] OSE Conference
  • From: S Keene <SKeene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:18:57 +0000 (UTC)
Hear, hear!

Stephen Keene
ICT Co-ordinator

Bury Grammar School (Girls)
Bridge Road
Bury
Lancs BL9 1YH

0161 797 2808

I'm sorry I can't let that slip past me....

1st: Any pupil leaving school today should have had some 'Windows'
experience.

However, I don't believe that ALL their experience should be MS Windows.

To get on my band box 'We are educational institutions, not training
institutions'

Why don't Colleges and Universtities teach MCSE skills rather than GNVQ and
degrees?

(Cost of course would be considerably more....due to the cost of MCSE
trainers...)

Those who know me, will realise that I am not a blind supporter of Acorn,
and I
have been pretty fierce with my criticism of them going back many years...

However, I could teach 'Computing' and quite a lot of 'IT skills' today
using
ZX81, or BBC B computers. No, there would be some tasks that would be
better
done with more modern machines - and some that would be impossible - but not
many!

The basics of programming - modular code, variables, loops, conditions etc
are
no more easily taught and learnt on an Acorn, PC or Linux. The appearance
of
Windows311 with different icons in different positions is completely
different
from W95 interface. Are you saying that schools that used W311 from 1990 to
1995 were up the wrong tree (because the tree hadn't yet been invented)?

IT is very poor in many schools (read the inspection reports) and the MS/RM
marketing
machine made this an Acorn/MS issue. In fact the issue has always been one
of
the lack of expertise and staff. There are still some schools today (not
ours - for
what we believe are good reasons) that use entirely Acorn machines - and the
IT
is simply exemplary in every way - and their results prove it.

With the potential break up of MS I suspect we will see a number of
different 'desktops'
appearing common as LINUX run MS applications using WINE, Acorn using
Citrix, Litestep and BeOS
etc. MS Office is a great product - but whether or not Star Office couldn't
do everything
that's required and save a great deal of money is one which BECTA should be
actively
investigating and promoting.

I am particularly concerned about the MS licencing scheme which demands ALL
computers
in the school to be licenced for every qualifying MS application regardless
or not
of whether Linux or BEOS or any future OS will run on them - as this 'locks'
schools
into MS products in a rather different way that schools were 'locked' into
Acorn
products.

--
Alan Davies