Re: [opensuse-doc] request for ru branch for susebook on berlios
  • From: Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:17:59 +0200
On Apr 20, 10 11:58:25 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
Hello Juergen,

Thanks, I've got write access!

we are currently investigating how to best manage community
translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
needs?

How about using git and the openSUSE

http://www.gitorious.org/opensuse

It has a lot of the openUSE stuff and I was told that they are going to
move all the novell svn openSUSE to this location.

That does not work.
Our docmanager infrastructure uses a few distinguishing features of SVN:
E.g. partial checkouts, path-based access control, and revision based
properties.
All of these are weak points with GIT.

And then, we are cautious(*), too. We have been using SVN for a long time,
we know the commands, and the pitfalls. Our build mechanics direct use Perl
and Python bindings of subversion.
Who would want to touch a running system, anyway?

We've identified a few potential benefit of git, though.
But none justifies the effort.

cheers,
JW-

PS: (*) "cautious" as in not hunting what appears to be hip;
as in keeping a steady pace; and as in 'no thank you, we
know that pain'.

\ | 0911 74053-508 __/ (____/ /\