Re: [opensuse-doc] The openSUSE distribution chages are way ahead of documentation?
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:29:40 +0200
Hello,

Am Samstag, 30. September 2006 10:53 schrieb Rajko M:
[...]
> Mediawiki software that is structured to support well Wikipedia type
> of data that has not many similar articles that differs only in few
> lines. Is the usage of structure:
> opensuse.org/10.0/
> opensuse.org/10.1/
> opensuse.org/10.2/
> appropriate,

This structure makes it hard to place pages that are valid for
multiple releases - you'll at least need lots of redirects
("/10.2/sometopic -> /10.1/sometopic")

I'd vote for opensuse.org/sometopic/10.0 (and opensuse.org/sometopic
for version-independend texts).

If the changes are small, you can also do "inline versioning" by writing
"in SUSE Linux 10.1, ...." or using the Template:VersionNote.

Well, I'm afraid there is no perfect solution for multi-version
documentation, but there are better and worser ones ;-)

> or it is better to use name spaces?

No, I don't think so - namespaces ("10.1:sometopic") have the same
problem I already explained for /10.1/sometopic.

If you want, you can additionally use categories ("Category:10.1")
because this way allows articles to be valid for multiple versions -
but keep in mind that you'll have to add another category
("Category:10.2") to all artices that are still valid in 10.2. (Yes,
many things change, but even more things do not change - so this will
cause lots of work ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Kurz gefasst: /etc/crontab ist IMHO so n├╝tzlich wie eine Laus in
einem Raumanzug - es juckt, aber Du kannst Dich nicht kratzen, es