Re: [opensuse-doc] The openSUSE distribution chages are way ahead of documentation?
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:22:14 -0500
jdd wrote:
> Rajko M a écrit :
>
>> - The categorization, naming structure.
>> I started that, jdd started that, and everything didn't moved from the
>> beginning. If you ask me for the links, I lost even that. It is on the
>> openSUSE wiki :-) (this sounds as helpful, as many help files)
>
> the true problem is _not_ the editor, but the structure.

I agree. That is what I can't get right, the idea, how to organize all.
For the God knows what time, I'm stuck trying to find out how to
structure articles in one complex group of articles, this time it is
about Troubleshooting ( http://en.opensuse.org/User:Rajko_m/Tests ), and
I really need professional writer advice how to overcome this.

> As you may know, generating docbook with a text processor is like
> generating a program from a program generator: a mess

As usually in the life, tool doesn't do the job, but human using it.

> even a wiki can do a very good job as documentation generator, given the
> pages are related to a structure.

I agree. One important point is to see specifics of openSUSE related
articles, and see what tools on the wiki are the most appropriate.

> but everybody have seen the time necessary to have a front page (we
> don't have it yet? sorry for that :-) and meaningfull menus :-). not to
> mention the same debate on the "documentation" page :-).

The debate about front page is open, the only problem is that we have to
decide about purpose of the front page, and set limits on number of
items that we want to introduce.

> practically, I'm stuck on the last but one chapter of Starcraft Broodwar
> and if I can't defeat the Protos, what seems likely, I will come back
> here :-)

:-D Serious problem.

> First of all, we must make the difference between the openSUSE native
> applications, generally called YaST (but also Zen...) and the more
> general applications.
>
> We must focus on yast, because nobody else will do it for us :-)

The YaST and a company, is resting primarily with Novell/SUSE doc team.
For sure, we can help translating to languages that we know, but the
process is still missing clear structure. Where to pick up source, what
tools to use, where to deliver results for approval, who will give
feedback to volunteer, what kind of feedback, etc. Actually, the same
process, once defined, can be applied to any documentation, not only
YaST related.

> So can anybody list exactly the products of this kind remaining on the
> 10.2 openSUSE? (Yast, SaX2, Zen, SUSEFirewall2, SIGA, SUSEConfig... ?)

Let we try, and see what doc and devel guys can add/subtract.

--
Regards,
Rajko.