Re: [opensuse-buildservice] AlpineLinux and OBS
Hi Adrian,

The one plus side is it is rather similar to arch. It uses an APKBUILD file
which basically is very much like an arch PKGBUILD. It has an abuild tool
which is like makepkg, packages are essentially tar files named .apk, and
abuild directly builds to/will update a destination archive which, like arch,
is an archive file of apk pkgs and index file, with directories split by
architecture. It also has a flat gpg key store for signing keys in a separate
directory with each key in a separate file. I suspect it would mostly require
reworking existing arch support in slight and subtle ways. If you have worked
with arch packaging, Alpine feels and operates really very similar. I think
the natural starting point is for me is to look at the existing Arch support as
well as that howto.

One key reason why someone might choose Alpine vs Arch is system size. Alpine
uses musl rather than glibc and busybox provides core tools. This leads to
very small boot images as well as tiny container images. Another unique aspect
of Alpine is it can be used in a pure ramdisk boot installation that can be
rewritten to disk on demand, which is nice for sd cards where you don’t wear
level during operation, or flash boot. Finally, static builds are easily
supported in Alpine, too, so I sometimes use it to generate c++ pure static
binaries to run on foreign bistro targets, using ansible to install them on
Debian or openSUSE cloud servers. So it has unique niches that are rather
useful and different than most other distros. I am finding it rather
complimentary to what I do with openSUSE.