Re: [opensuse-buildservice] creating disk images - successor for susestudio?
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 9:12 AM Mathias Homann
<Mathias.Homann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 2019-12-05 14:15, schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
Hey,

On 05.12.19 12:36, Mathias Homann wrote:

now that susestudio is gone, is there a way to create a disk image on
OBS?

https://studioexpress.opensuse.org/

been there, looked at it, didn't find much information that is helpful,
or even just accurate.

So far my personal opinion of this whole mess is:

- kiwi is possible unmaintained, horribly outdated, and even less
documented.
proofs:
- kiwi doesn't seem to support anything newer than Leap 42.x or
SLES 11/12
- the kiwi documentation on the opensuse wiki (so you happen to
find it) claims that kiwi is included with opensuse - which is simply
not true, you have to *find* the right OBS repo and activate it
- the *obivious* place to look for kiwi documentation consists of a
short page that informs you that kiwi was integrated into OBS to replace
susetudio, and has a link that ends in an Error 404.

also, the JeOS templates look way too complicated to me for something
that creates an image with "just enough operating system" on it.

lastly, before anyone here even thinks of gibing me the "its opensource,
fix it yourself" spiel, I believe the documentation for it should be
written by someone who actually knows how to use it.

New kiwi is not part of the openSUSE organization. It is actively
developed and maintained. The package is `python3-kiwi` in SUSE distributions.

Documentation is here: https://osinside.github.io/kiwi/

Example kiwi descriptions are here:
https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-descriptions