Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Adding repositories to project, but downloads don't show up?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 15:41:20 +0200
On Montag, 27. Mai 2019, 13:27:38 CEST Harald Welte wrote:
Hi Henne,

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:11:50PM +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Just to make it clear. We are open for everybody doing anything they
need to do for their project on build.opensuse.org. We don't consider
only building for non-opensuse distros abuse in any way.

Thanks for your clarification. It might make sense to have some kind of
official/formal policy for the service and publish that somewhere? Or
maybe I just didn't find it?

in short the hosted sources do matter here, not the build results.

The need to be OSI compliant. Exceptions are only possible via the openSUSE
distribution legal team.

The build results do not matter for us at least. However, your users may
run into legal problems by installing them (eg. GPL conflict by loading code
into a GPL app which is OSI, but GPL incompatibel). But this is out of the
scope of our project.

So neither the used base distros are. We would not offer non-SUSE builds, if
we would have a problem with that :)

Just to make up an example: Building FOSS is one thing. But what if, for
example, somebody was using build.opensuse.org to build some proprietary
software pacakges [for whatever distribution], would that still be
considered acceptable? I guess most people wouldn't want to upload
proprietary source code to a public build service, sure. But what of e.g.
having pre-compiled proprietary binaries in the "source" tarballs and then
creating dpkg/rpm packages from it?

I have no plans in doing that, I'm just pointing out that it might be useful
to have some kind of public disclaimer about what is OK and what not.

Yes, there should be a popup on first time OBS usage, it is just no there yet
due to some code bug.

Sure, it's not the most important thing to consider, but maybe worth a
thought.

it is :)