Re: [opensuse-buildservice] API query to return all _real_ source packages
  • From: Jimmy Berry <jberry@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 12:34:41 -0500
On Friday, May 10, 2019 9:51:38 AM CDT Jimmy Berry wrote:
My first e-mail explains exactly what information is desired. Trying to
filter the list to remove "packages" that are implementation details and
not the thing actually being maintained. Such a distriction is useful for
filtering lists presented in interface we use as well as not wasted queries
on "packages" that are no relevant to tools since they cannot be
maintained.

To further illustrate the point roughly the same number of packages are
available from beginning to end of SLE-12, but in OBS one sees ~3000 for
SUSE:SLE-12:GA and over 15,000 for SUSE:SLE-12-SP4:GA mostly due to the
implementation detail of maintenance updates (what is essentially a commit
becomes a package). If one wants to see the status of zypper one is not
particularly interested in looking at ~30 zyppers. Having this information
presented as such in OBS is what it is, but a way to distinguish for external
use is rather reasonable.

For origin-manager specifically queries need to be performed for each package
both on-demand and for expensive weekly summary. Short of making a query for
every package there is no way to know if I can avoid bothering with zypper.895
vs zypper. I can make this extra query, but would seem rather reasonable to be
able to filter the initial list of packages to ... real packages as definined
in initial mail (regardless of how it is exposed in API).

--
Jimmy