Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RFC: slow ftp product builds
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Dinar Valeev <dinarv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Srinidhi B <Srinidhi.BS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello Dinar,

On Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 at 03:37 AM, Dinar Valeev <dinarv@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to fix a slow ftp tree build, it takes
about 5 hours to build it. It is fine to wait, but in Tumbleweed days
where many snapshots released during the week this is rather slow.

First of all, I'm not an expert and this might not be a "solution", but a
few months back I enabled "caching" on our KIWI worker and build times have
significantly improved.

# grep CACHE /etc/sysconfig/obs-worker
OBS_CACHE_DIR="/path/to/pkg-cache"
OBS_CACHE_SIZE="50000"
OBS_WORKER_CACHE_SIZE=""
We need to have a cache big enough to fit all ports in.

I've looked at build36, it doesn't use cache at all. I reconfigured
it, let see what would be an improvement if any.
So far cache is growing but it is now 78G and keeps growing?

I wonder how much space we need per FTP tree?

Thanks,

I'm not sure if there are any disadvantages of using caching, but purely
from "build time" perspective, we have seen a lot of improvement!

Hope this helps,
Srinidhi.