Re: [opensuse-buildservice] EXE package format
On Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2014, 20:13:33 wrote Martin Koegler:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:47:49PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Wednesday 2014-02-26 10:48, Adrian Schröter wrote:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:e9925248:mingw/mingw64-grandorgue

cool...

First, thanks. I'll forward the link to some users.

IMHO the version and also the release number of the spec file should be
part
of these files. Otherwise there is no way how mirrors and users can
destinguish between
them.

Mirrors (that is, the rsyncing process) should be able to look at the
timestamp of the file, and so do users. It's not ideal, but getting
the files mirrored at all seems worthwhile.

Each publish regenerates repomd.xml - so if the mirrors could not handle
this, we would see
lots of outdated or invalid repository content on the mirrors.

we delivere the repo meta data for that (and security) reasons only via trusted
servers.
But also our download redirector depends on the file name.

So, if there are multiple files with same file name each user may get a
different
version. Depending on the used mirror.

For the users, %release would not matter in my case. The source is extracted
from SVN, %version includes
the revision and the installer is self-contained. It simply does not matter,
if the installer is build using
GCC 4.7.1 or 4.7.2.

erm, I doubt. There will be cases where it does matter for sure which packages
got used. This is not limited to gcc, but also important for all used libs.

I thought of just gobbling up all files from the OTHER/ directory
that match /-%version-%release\./ (no BOL or EOL anchors!).
That does not give you the freedom you have with rpm filenaming,
but better than nothing.

Especially for the mingw context, you have to include $ARCH (win32/win64) in
the filename.

In my option, -$ARCH looks better than .$ARCH:
GrandOrgue-0.3.1.1613-win32.exe

given that .exe files do not contain meta informations like rpm packages do
(like version-release or the disturl) it is even more important for .exe files
IMHO to have the commit and build counter ...

(AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany